Adobe 公司联合创始人 John Warnock 去世

Business Wire 网站的消息,Adobe 主席兼 CEO Shantanu Narayen 给 Adobe 所有员工发布以下不幸的消息:

It is with profound sadness that I share that our beloved co-founder Dr. John Warnock passed away at the age of 82.

John’s brilliance and technology innovations changed the world. It is a sad day for the Adobe community and the industry for which he has been an inspiration for decades.

John and Dr. Chuck Geschke founded Adobe in 1982 with PostScript, sparking the desktop publishing revolution. His vision and passion enabled Adobe to deliver groundbreaking innovations such as Illustrator, the ubiquitous PDF file format and Acrobat, Photoshop and Premiere Pro, defining the desktop era and unleashing creativity and opportunity for millions of people.

John has been widely acknowledged as one of the greatest inventors in our generation with significant impact on how we communicate in words, images and videos. Among many other awards, President Barack Obama awarded him the National Medal of Technology and Innovation, one of the nation’s highest honors bestowed on scientists, engineers and inventors, in 2008; he received the Computer Entrepreneur Award from the IEEE Computer Society; the American Electronics Association Medal of Achievement; and the high honor of the Marconi Prize for contributions to information science and communications. John retired as CEO in 2000 and he was chairman of the board, a position he shared with Chuck, until 2017. Since then, he continued to serve on the Board of Directors.

While the impact that his innovations have had are countless, it is his indomitable spirit, passion and belief in building a company with strong values that has impacted all of us who have had the good fortune of working at Adobe. John was incredibly insightful on which technologies would delight customers as well as create business value. John and his wife, Marva, who is a graphics artist, used our products constantly and set the standard for customer empathy.

My interactions with John over the past 25 years have been the highlight of my professional career. At breakfasts with John and Chuck, we would imagine the future, however, it was our varied conversations on rare books, art, world history and politics that gave me unique insight into John, who was truly a renaissance man (we also loved rooting jointly for the Warriors!). While he was my role model and mentor, I am most grateful to count him as a friend.

As I reflect on this loss that will leave a huge void in our lives, I think back to a few months ago when I saw John for the 30th anniversary of Acrobat. After the event, where we celebrated the impact of Acrobat and PDF on the world of communication, we talked about the potential of Firefly to transform the next generation of creative technology. With a twinkle in his eye, he said that he was amazed with the progress and as always had feedback on how we could make it better!

My thoughts are with Marva and his entire family. There is nothing he would like more than to continue his amazing legacy so let’s continue to make him proud.

Shantanu

翻译如下:

我沉痛的分享给大家的是,我们敬爱的共同创始人John Warnock博士在82岁时去世了。

John的聪慧与技术创新改变了世界。对于受他启示长达数十年的Adobe社区和业界来说,这是个悲伤的一天。

John和Chuck Geschke博士于1982年创建了Adobe,用PostScript点燃了桌面出版的革命。他的远见及激情激发了Adobe去给予开天辟地般的创新,诸如Illustrator、无处不在的PDF文件格式,以及Acrobat、Photoshop与Premiere Pro,定义了桌面时代并为数百万人解锁了创造力和机遇。

John曾被广泛认作我们这一代里面最伟大的发明家,通过对于我们如何使用字词、图像和视频交流的重大影响。在其他奖项之上,2008年贝拉克·奥巴马总统授予他国家技术与创新奖,国家为科学家、工程师及发明家所授予的最高荣誉;他从IEEE计算机学会获得了计算机企业家奖;美国电子协会成就奖;以及为信息科学和通讯的贡献所获的马可尼奖。John于2000年从首席执行官一职退休,并于Chuck同为董事会主席,直到2017年。此后,他仍然是董事会的成员。

他的创新所带来影响不可计数,同时他在用强大的价值观构建公司当中的不屈不挠的精神、激情与信念影响了所有为Adobe工作而拥有优秀财富的我们。John对于技术将使客户欢愉及创造商业价值有着不可思议的洞察力。John和他的妻子、图形艺术家Marva都一直在用我们的产品,并为客户的共鸣树立了标杆。

我与John的共事超过了25年,曾是我职业生涯的亮点。在与John和Chuck共进午餐的时候,我们会设想未来,然而,正是我们对于稀有图书、艺术、世界历史和政治的各种谈论给了我对于John的独特的见识,他真的是多才多艺之人(我们还喜欢一起支持勇士队!)。同时他是我角色的榜样和导师,我对认识他这么一个朋友最为感激。

作为我对这一损失在我们生命中造成巨大空白的反应,我想到退回到几个月前为庆祝Acrobat 30周年之际我见到John的时候。事情过去之后,在我们庆祝Acrobat和PDF对世界的交流的影响的时候,我们讨论了Firefly转型成为下一代技术的可能。随着他眼里的闪光,他说他为这一进度感到惊讶并一直为我们如何能够做的更好而反馈!

我的心与Marva和他全家站在一起。没有什么能比延续他惊人的遗产更令他喜欢,所以让我们一起继续做出令他骄傲之事。

Shantanu

:candle: R.I.P.

:newspaper: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230820585683/en/Adobe-Co-Founder-Dr.-John-Warnock-Passes-at-82

1 个赞

R.I.P.

1 个赞

这里解释一下:

PostScript 是 Adobe 开发的专为打印而设计的编程语言,通过独立于设备的指令来打印或者显示文本和图像,并能在各种介质取得一致的效果。John Warnock 在施乐工作的时候,与 Chuck Geschke 一起研发过打印方面的技术,后来出于对施乐高管的不满,两人另起炉灶,创办了 Adobe Systems,之后发展出了 PostScript 语言,通过苹果 LaserWriter 打印机的首秀取得了巨大成功。后来 Warnock 通过发起 Camelot 计划,从 PostScript 发展出了 PDF。之前他还带头研制出 Illustrator。

Acrobat 就是伴随 PDF 这一格式的诞生而开发的系列软件。

Firefly 是 Adobe 基于 AI 技术的图像创作平台。